Fitness is one concern that motivates you to start biking, but mainly bike riders are those who love it and are passionate about it. The increasing issue of global warming and increase air pollution is also pushing people towards biking as a medium for traveling says Thomas N Salzano a biker and a famous blogger.
Biking is said to be easy but only for those who know how to ride a bike. The others who have just initiated to start biking needs to be aware of the safety measures and risk involved in it.
The main risk involved in biking is the injuries which can be severe if safety measures are ignored. You are much more likely to hurt yourself by falling off your bike or hitting a stationary object. So here comes the role of obeying all the rules when cycling to avoid and minimize the risk to injuries.
Some injuries that can be caused while cycling:
- Cycling can cause lower back pain
- Cycling causes numb toes by nerves being squashed. This happens due to tight shoes.
- Cycling can also cause hand injuries or numbness in the palm or fingers.
- Cycling can result in shoulder pain
- Keen injuries are common among bikers
The ways to Prevent Cycling Injuries:
- To prevent yourself from the issue of lower back pain, get into the habit of keeping your back straight, whether you are standing or riding.
- To prevent the numbness of toes adjust your shoes and don’t wear tight shoes, make sure your feet are straight when you clip into the pedals and in case irritation or feeling pinching remove your shoes and dust them off to remove any object or insect causing the irritation.
- To prevent hand injuries keep changing your hand position frequently, keep your wrist straight and wear padded gloves or handlebar tape to reduce the vibration.
- To prevent the shoulder pain keep your elbows slightly flexed to stop vibration or road shock transfer to the arms and upper body.
- To prevent knee injuries focus on training and avoid pedaling in high gear for a long time.
Here are some safety tips for bike riders by Thomas Salzano :
Obey all the road rules
The risk increases when you are on the road full of traffic and rash drivers. You need to remember some essential road rules like:
- Don’t ride on the wrong side of the road and be careful at the red light.
- Use your hand gestures to convey your intentions to turn.
- Do not ride two abreast on multi-lane roads.
- Use your bell to alert people and avoid shouting to request them to move aside.
- When riding two-abreast, make sure both riders are no more than 1.5 meters apart.
Safety measures are important
Your safety is in your hands so be prepared with the basic safety rules like:
- Wear a helmet and don’t forget to buckle it tightly according to your comfort
- Stay visible by using lights when biking at night or in low-light conditions.
- Stay alert and keep a lookout for obstacles in your path.
- Bike in the direction of the traffic and avoid changing lanes frequently
- Avoid distractions like answering phone calls or loud music while riding
- Assure bicycle readiness and check that your bike is properly adjusted and is in a comfortable position.
- Make sure your brakes and wheels are functioning well.
Maximize your visibility on a bike
It is important to be visible to other vehicle drivers especially the ones driving big cars or trucks.
- Wear bright-colored clothes especially during night rides or put a neon sticker on your bike.
- Fit lights to your bike on both sides front and back even if you are not a night rider. Lights are the best indicator that one can use so prefer fixing the lights.
- One trending thing among the bikers is the use of reflectors to promote visibility. The bikers get reflectors fitted to the back of their shoes, which increases visibility at night.
These are some tips on safety and prevention of injuries while you are riding. Thomas says it’s important to abide by rules not only in cycling but in every field of life.